Today’s interview is with Thomas M. Kane, author of The Witches of Crannock Dale.
Please see below.
1) What is your author name and in what state do you live (or country if not in the US)?
Thomas M. Kane. Maine.
2) What is the title of your newest book and what is the genre?
The Witches of Crannock Dale. Fantasy.
3) What is the book about?
It starts when an eleven-year old girl named Mara Bennett hears the church bells ring on the wrong day. She knows that’s supposed to be a warning that her country has been invaded. Then the knights that are supposed to be protecting her village arrest her aunt for witchcraft. Suddenly, she doesn’t know what’s really happening or who to trust. She’s determined to protect the people she cares about, she’s determined to save her aunt, and she feels as if she has to do it all by herself.
4) Where did you come up with the idea?
When I was little, my mother told me the story of the Trojan Horse. She also told me that there was a Trojan girl named Cassandra who saw through the trick. I thought Cassandra seemed like a neat person, and when I became interested in writing, I decided to write about a character like her.
5) How long did it take you to write it?
I had been thinking about the idea for nearly forty years. It took me a few months to write the first two or three chapters. Then I found a helpful writers’ group, and with that inspiration, I wrote the other twenty-three chapters in a few months more.
6) Did you learn anything from the project?
Absolutely! Most recently, I’ve been learning a lot about how artists and designers work. Artist Robin M. Birrell has painted a cover that captures a lot of my favorite details from the book and done some interior illustrations as well. Tallulah van der Made has been turning Robin’s work into a finished cover. I am impressed with their work and grateful to have met both of them.
7) Do you have an author website and/or blog? How about a book video?
Yes! My website is www.thomasmkane.com. I post stories and articles there two or three times a month. I’m also active on Facebook (@thomasmkaneauthor), Twitter (thomasmkane11) and Goodreads.
8) Do you have any success tips to pass on to fellow authors? How about any great editors/cover artists?
The first tip that comes to mind is, if you know what you want to write, write it! I strongly recommend the artists I mentioned above. Chrissy Cutting at Fiverr did a highly professional job editing my work and I deeply appreciate Glenn Sarco of Sarco Press’s work formatting the text.
9) What genres do you like to read? Are you open to reading new authors and reviewing their work?
I read practically all genres and review honestly.
10) What is your favorite book of all time and why?
The Lord of the Rings towers (ahem) over my writing life, but the book which inspires me most these days is Ursula K. Le Guin’s Tehanu. Tehanu explores its characters’ inner lives and family relationships in powerful and thought-provoking ways.
11) Fun Question: Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?
My only “pets” at the moment are the wild creatures who live in the woods around my house – but anyone who reads Witches of Crannock Dale will see that I have had some wonderful cats in my life in the past.
12) Fun Question 2: Do you own an electronic reading device? If so, what kind and how do you like it?
I read e-books on my laptop. That works well for me now – bu I have had good experiences with Kindles.
*As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.