Today’s interview is with Jez Cajiao, author of Brightblade.
1) What is your author name and in what state do you live (or country if not in the US)?
I go by own name, as it’s a lot simpler for everyone, plus I kinda liked the idea of people I used to party with seeing my name on a book and having a ‘what the hell??’ moment…
2) What is the title of your newest book and what is the genre?
My First book is Brightblade, a LitRPG dark adventure, with my second book, The Forgotten Faithful releasing on the 5th of August..
3) What is the book about?
It follows the Main Character Jax, as he searches for his brother in the UnderVerse, a realm at the center of reality, where all our dreams and nightmares are born. Jax is kidnapped, and given the option of performing a task for the father he’d never known, or dying… slowly. He takes the job when he’s told his missing brother was given the same task, only to find out the first step is to defeat the other noble houses chosen champions int he arena first. Twelve will enter, only one can leave…
4) Where did you come up with the idea?
I’ve always been a huge fan of fantasy and I considered gravity, it’s a force strong enough to compress stars, and yet we can ignore it at will (for a short period of time) by jumping, one theory is that this is because it bleeds away through the multiple realities that surround us. I considered what if we can ‘feel’ those realities? Sometimes interact with them in our dreams. What if H.R. Gieger was seeing that realm and drew the things he saw?
5) How long did it take you to write it?
The first draft took two years, mostly because it was an hour here, and an hour there.
6) Did you learn anything from the project?
Massively yes, I wrote it in part as therapy, as recommended by a friend, after an industrial accident, and it massively helped. Plus, I read some truly awful books on occasion, and thought, can I do better? (Probably not!)
7) Do you have an author website and/or blog? How about a book video?
I have a Facebook group, it’s very new, and is theunderverse2020 (Just the UnderVerse was taken, damn their eyes!)
8) Do you have any success tips to pass on to fellow authors? How about any great editors/cover artists?
I’ve been told that great artists and editors are a top-secret resource, but I will say, check out ArtStation, that’s how I found my artist, he’s amazing! It’s the first impression you make, so never, ever skimp there! (And I name my Editor and Artist inside my book, as thanks…)
9) What genres do you like to read? Are you open to reading new authors and reviewing their work?
I split my time between new authors and established, as I love to read, I’m also aware of how important a review is, so I always make the effort to leave one!
10) What is your favorite book of all time and why?
My favorite SERIES is the Wheel of Time, without a doubt, but my favorite book? Hmmmm…. Possibly ‘Legend’ by David Gemmell, because the characters were so well rounded and individual
11) Fun Question: Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?
Yes! I have three cats, a human, and a second pet human on the way, and I hope to get another Bedlington Terrier soon, as we sadly lost ours last year…
12) Fun Question 2: Do you own an electronic reading device? If so, what kind and how do you like it?
I use my phone! I have an iPhone Max and use that as the screen is just the right size, plus that way I’ve always got books with me wherever I go!
As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.