Today’s interview is with Bill Boggs, author of The Adventures of Spike the Wonder Dog.
1) What is your author name and in what state do you live (or country if not in the US)?
Bill Boggs. I live between New York and Florida.
2) What is the title of your newest book and what is the genre?
“The Adventures of Spike the Wonder Dog:” as told to Bill Boggs. It is satire, social commentary in the Jerry Seinfeld vein, absurdist humor, and a touch of personal memoir regarding my life as a TV talk show host, narrated by fiction’s funniest canine.
3) What is the book about?
The madcap adventures of a dog and his master who become TV and social media stars and the price they both pay for fame.
4) Where did you come up with the idea?
I had a very funny dog on my morning TV show, “Southern Exposure with Bill Boggs,” in High Point, N/C. His name was Spike and he was a big hit on the show and very popular throughout the south where the show was syndicated. Before leaving for NYC and my big break hosting “Midday Live” Spike was killed by a drunk driver. I thought, what if Spike hadn’t died and came to NYC with a guy like me in today’s world and became a big hit….and that’s how it all started.
5) How long did it take you to write it?
Three full years including two comprehensive edits and the continued addition of more comedy..called “punching up” in the business.
6) Did you learn anything from the project?
Yes many things. First, it is still possible to satirize our culture, although it frequently appears to be satirizing itself. Second, that I could block out the time to write even though I have a busy life. Third, that the narrative came to me and I was writing in the voice of my central character who was a dog, that was a huge insight. I can think like a dog who comes across as an observational comedian.
7) Do you have an author website and/or blog? How about a book video? (There are videos on the various social media platforms.)
Twitter: @SpikeWonderDog – https://twitter.com/SpikeWonderDog
Instagram: Spike the Wonder Dog https://www.instagram.com/spike_wonderdog/
YouTube–Bill Boggs TVs – https://www.youtube.com/user/BillBoggsTV
Amazon Link – Orderspike.com
Website – https://spikethewonderdog.com/
Goodreads – https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/379950.Bill_Boggs
8) Do you have any success tips to pass on to fellow authors? How about any great editors/cover artists?
It is very important to have as much social media following as possible. Make sure your publisher sends books to the NYT and other national publications weeks in advance of publishing date. I can suggest a good cover designer if needed.
9) What genres do you like to read? Are you open to reading new authors and reviewing their work?
I most like to read biographies and history and books written by my friends. If I know someone who has written a book, I always buy it. Of course, I am open to reading new authors, someone has to replace Steven King eventually. I am currently deep into writing the sequel to “The adventures of Spike the Wonder Dog,” and not available to review books, but I would be in the future. I do not read other fiction when I am writing fiction.
10) What is your favorite book of all time and why?
“ACT ONE,” by Moss Hart. A rags-to-riches story written brilliantly.
11) Fun Question: Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?
I’ve had many but right now, it’s just The Wonder Dog in my mind.
12) Fun Question 2: Do you own an electronic reading device? If so, what kind and how do you like it?
I listen to audio books on my phone and have an iPad on which I can read, but I prefer the printed page a little bit more.
Admin: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.