Today’s interview is with DL White, author of A Thin Line.
1) What is your author name and in what state do you live (or country if not in the US)?My author name is DL White. I live in Atlanta, Georgia
2) What is the title of your newest book and what is the genre?My latest novel is Black romance called A Thin Line
3) What is the book about? A Thin Line is an enemies to lovers romance about two former sweethearts who don’t know that they’re still in love. Fortunately, the people in their lives do, and mastermind a task that is designed to push them back together and fall in love again. It couldn’t possibly work. Could it?
4) Where did you come up with the idea?This was originally a fanfiction idea that I had a ton of fun with. Once I released my debut, I needed a back list and this was already written, so I grabbed it up and rewrote it for commercial release. It didn’t do well the first time and after a while, I pulled it down. 2 years later, I’ve republished it the way I wanted to tell the story.
5) How long did it take you to write it?
It took about a year to write it… It’s been around since about 2015, then removed from sale, I took about 6 months to rewrite it and put it back up.
6) Did you learn anything from the project?
Write what you want. Always write what you want. Be true to yourself and your characters.
7) Do you have an author website and/or blog? How about a book video?My website is BooksbyDLWhite.com- there is a blog on that site as well as the Bookcast, which are audio readings of short stories and novellas. I have a youtube channel with story time from each of my books, a couple of chapters to give you a taste. https://www.youtube.com/AuthorDLWhite
8) Do you have any success tips to pass on to fellow authors? How about any great editors/cover artists?
I don’t know about success tips. I think the best thing that has worked for me is finding out who I am, how I am wired and applying that to my writing life. I can’t write like a person that just sits down and shoots out 50K words. I’m a thinker and a planner. It takes me a good year to think about a project long enough to be able to write it. That’s me, all the way around so I need to build that time into writing instead of pressuring myself to write like the wind. It won’t come because I don’t write that way.
I do my own covers but I have used Diane Frost for cover assistance when needed. I don’t know any spectacular editors. I do a lot of self editing and then send it on to a few people who catch most stuff.
9) What genres do you like to read? Are you open to reading new authors and reviewing their work?I read a lot of crime, thriller, mystery, some romance. I love a good chick lit, or something with TEETH. I don’t read authors I don’t know. I just don’t have the time to dedicate to it. I don’t send my books to authors, I use Beta readers. I suggest authors do the same! Connect with readers, they care less about the stuff authors will nit pick over.
10) What is your favorite book of all time and why?
I don’t have one. I know, that’s crazy but I read too much (over 150 books/year) to have a favorite. I just love a good book that hits me right in the chest.
11) Fun Question: Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?No pets! I can just barely water and feed myself. 😀
12) Fun Question 2: Do you own an electronic reading device? If so, what kind and how do you like it?I have a Kindle HD with the charging dock. Absolutely LOVE it. I started with the B&N Nook Color way back in the day but soon moved over to Kindle because it was easier to manage my library. I also buy my mom a lot of books on amazon and they just show up for her.