Today’s interview is with Joan Brooks Baker, author of The Magnolia Code–a memoir.
1) What is your author name and in what state do you live (or country if not in the US)?
Joan Brooks Baker. I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico
2) What is the title of your newest book and what is the genre?
The Magnolia Code, a Creative non-fiction Memoir
3) What is the book about?
Risk, Choice and the Consequences to both are the themes. Following the rules of conduct, espoused in the Southern unwritten Magnolia Code, promises a mythical sphere of happiness, but fulfillment in finding our true selves, whatever the consequences, is the worthy goal. However Beware, the risk of authentic choice could place one on the outer rim of belonging.
4) Where did you come up with the idea?
My Southern Aunt Billie told me as a little girl, “Remember, Joanie, Oscar Wilde said something like this: “Might as well be yourself, cuz everyone else is taken.”
5) How long did it take you to write it?
Seven years. I had always been a photographer. Then I learned to write and I loved it.
6) Did you learn anything from the project?
Compassion. . . for myself and for others, particularly my parents who I discovered were also Human, not just parents.
7) Do you have an author website and/or blog? How about a book video?
Yes, JoanBrooksBaker.com which includes two Book Video Interviews.
8) Do you have any success tips to pass on to fellow authors? How about any great editors/cover artists?
Dare to hear your voice. Just start with a sentence, or a good story, that is about you.
9) What genres do you like to read? Are you open to reading new authors and reviewing their work?
I like stories about life’s emotional challenges. Just finished several James Baldwin short stories and Patti Smith’s Just Kids. In the middle of Toni Morrison’s Song of Solomon. Definitely open to reading new authors.
10) What is your favorite book of all time and why?
The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett. Overcoming the obstacles – I envisioned the garden.
10) Fun Question: Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?
Nikko, the most wonderful dog in the world, came from the Pound.
11) Fun Question 2: Do you own an electronic reading device? If so, what kind and how do you like it?
Yes, I have a Kindle – for traveling. And I sometimes listen to Audio, depending on the Reader
Admin: As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.