Today’s interview is with Phyllis Kerr, author of Wildcat (A Texas Romance Series).
|1) What is your author name and in what state do you live (or country if not in the US)? |
Hello. My name is Phyllis Kerr and I am a native Texan.
2) What is the title of your newest book and what is the genre?
I have a new book in my A Texas Romance Series titled Wildcat and it is a story about a girl searching her way through a difficult time in her journey to womanhood.
3) What is the book about?
Sugar’s path is particularly difficult because her mother left the family when Sugar was only four years old. Her father, Cattle Baron Quint Riley, made sure she learned all the skills needed to someday inherit the ranch in her turn and carry on his legacy in his name. But not the skills to deal with a husband in name only and her awakening feelings of the need for a mate to love and create a family. She needs to find the missing parts of her femaleness in order to set her life on a balanced path to reach her life goals.
4) Where did you come up with the idea?
I started thinking about this story after reading a true story about a girl forced into marriage at the age of fourteen and how she coped with her circumstances throughout her life. Her story touched my heart and Sugar’s story grew from that foundation.
5) How long did it take you to write it?
When I wrote my first book, I sharpened a pencil and found a yellow legal pad and wrote from beginning to end. I did buy an electric eraser about a quarter of the way through, so that helped speed things up. That one took about two years. This time I bought a new computer, read as many planning your writing books as I could get my hands on, planning software that I could manipulate to suit my needs and finished right at four months.
6) Did you learn anything from the project?
I learned so much from this project. Mostly that writing is fun when you set your characters free to be themselves. I love watching them work their ways out of the situations they get themselves into.
7) Do you have an author website and/or blog? How about a book video? I have a new website. It’s really basic right now because I don’t have a clue about how to make technology work for me. I know the Help staff fights over who has to help me next time. You can find me at phylliskerr.com and email–phylliskerrbooks @phylliskerr.com.
8) Do you have any success tips to pass on to fellow authors? How about any great editors/cover artists?
As far as success goes, writing is like any other endeavor in your life, how hard are you willing to work to achieve what you consider successful? I have a great Cover and Website Designer. I love working with her, she’s terrific. Carrie at cheekycovers.com.
9) What genres do you like to read? Are you open to reading new authors and reviewing their work?
New authors are awesome. I actually do love reading their work and writing reviews. But when I am working on a book, my book becomes my main focus and takes most of my time, day and night.
10) What is your favorite book of all time and why?
Of course, I love to read. I have my degree in Literature because I find it fascinating. So, of course, my favorite book is a long list of wonderful books that grows longer every day. But as a romance writer I would have to say I fell in love with Pride and Prejudice at an early age. There’s just something special about that Mr. Darcy.
11) Fun Question: Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?
I have a large orange cat named ChaCho that refuses to leave my side when I am writing. He’s always there, supporting me in bad times and good. He is an excellent listener.
12) Fun Question 2: Do you own an electronic reading device? If so, what kind and how do you like it?
I have a Kindle paperwhite, I think it’s called. It’s always in my purse when not in use so I never go out without it. I like the size, it’s very small. But the screen can be aggravating when your big fingers keep touching certain parts of the screen and sends you off somewhere unexpected. Thank you, I enjoyed talking to you. Happy writing!
Admin: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.